- so my long time readers will know that when SBC told me I couldn't keep my DSL line unless I also had their voice service I told them to go pound sand and disconnected both. I've been a cable broadband man ever since, and on a rant about how RBOC's force a bundle of voice and DSL on customers, even though there is no technical reason for doing so. The latest news piece that had me on the floor laughing is Telus and Bell Canada's claim that with voice service they pump a 48 volt DC current through the lines to prevent corrosion, therefore they could not NOT bundle voice service with DSL else the lines would corrode! Does anyone run this PR flak through the "who the hell is going to believe this crap" filter before issuing it as official company communication? Guess not.
- This piece I got through Ross' Many-to-Many column is really good. It talks about the things, i.e. mistakes, that companies make when they start tinkering with pricing strategies. The issue in question is Six Apart's recent move to change their licensing and pricing for Movable Type 3.0 that has met with near universal criticism.
- speaking of Six Apart, the post that Mena Trott has on the company blog is pretty interesting... but almost entirely because of the trackback links which run pretty much all negative. It'll be good spectating to see how the company responds to the blog criticism, I agree with Ross that we are at an inflection point in the blog tool sector.
- the NYTimes is concerned that the CIA may be using inhumane tactics in their interrogation of Al Qaeda prisoners, such as 9/11 mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed. Wait a minute, I feel my eyes watering up... no, that was just a piece of dust. I honestly hope the spooks are torturing Al Queda terrorists and crimminals, honest to god I'd donate blood just to give them a transfusion to keep these thugs alive so that they can be tortured further. Leave it to the NYTimes to write this story, I'd like to see the tone if it was the Post.
- French blogger doesn't like the way his town is run, critical of the mayor in his blog... is arrested by local police. Good thing he didn't write his blog in English, he's be looking at some hard time....
- wow, check out this new phone. It has "smartskin" technology that enables the phone to have an identity... content, software, and even hardware embedded in a super smart faceplate. Gotta get one of these.
- interesting take on Google's position that the only value an ad has is when it's clicked on.
- Salesforce.com's IPO was delayed due to some issues around quiet period rules. Jeez, these guys are always right on the edge of the rules, makes me wonder what else is going on under the covers.
- big company buys startup, screws it up, and now the founders want to buy it back.
- why we play games, and gaming beyond games